Inbound Students To The United States – Make the Smart Choice…

Most of the blog posts we have done for International Students has been focused on U.S. Students traveling abroad, outbound from the United States to where ever their studies take them.  This post I want to focus on the International Student that may be planning on coming to the United States for school.  This may include both College students as well as students in grades 6th through 12th.

Just about every school in the U.S. will require the student to have comprehensive health insurance coverage in place before they start school.  Most colleges and universities will already include some form of coverage that the student will be charged for in their tuition fees, unless they opt out and can provide proof of acceptable coverage.  Most of the health plans we see offered by schools are limited in their scope of coverage and for the most part only cover the International Student while they are at the school.

These plans definitely have limitations in both coverage amounts and many of them significantly limit your selection of health care providers.  These plans usually are just sufficient to cover the student while at school but benefits are limited when you leave the area.  Is there a better choice?  We think so…

If you are planning to leave your home country and move to the United States to study you have already spent many man hours and plenty of money just to get here.  Because having a comprehensive health plan is a very important component of your travels you at least need to consider the alternatives to the expensive and limited coverage plans that will be offered to you by your school.

Here in the United States HTH Worldwide is hands down the leader in International Health insurance for both U.S. Student traveling abroad and Non U.S. students traveling to the United States for school.  Several options exist depending on the length of time you plan to study in the U.S.  Today we will make the assumption you will be staying for multiple years of study and that you will  want to travel home from time to time.  Securing suitable health benefits is one of the biggest considerations you will make.

HTH Worldwide is what we call an Admitted Health Insurance Carrier.  Basically this means that you are protected under U.S. insurance laws and oversight.  U.S. Insurance laws are strict and have long favored the health care consumer.  Policy language must meet the plain English definition.  Benefit levels, policy wording, plan definitions, exclusions, claims process, claims turnaround times, formal appeals process all must meet regulatory muster.

An admitted plan can be kept even after your employment ends or your overseas assignment ceases.  U.S. Insurance Laws have stepped up to ensure portability.  Admitted plans typically offer larger networks in the United States with fewer billing issues for members.  In addition, contracted doctors and hospitals are available in most locations overseas.  These providers agree to bill the insurance company directly.  Providers are profiled and contracted and members can review their biographical information.

Admitted plans offer broader benefits, higher limits and no waiting periods on medical conditions.  Expatriates have an appetite for comprehensive coverage and can enjoy superior health insurance if they choose wisely. It is always a good idea to do your homework and read the fine print.

HTH Worldwide offers three great plans to choose from depending on your length of stay and your budget.  But for those who will be staying in the United States for more than 6 months then you really need to consider the “Global Citizen” from HTH Worldwide.  Get a quote today and see how they compare.

Click to View Brochure

The Global Citizen from HTH Worldwide was designed to support the international lifestyles of those who travel to or from the United States for extended periods of business, leisure and study. If you leave home for six months or more, your health and financial security are at serious risk because of significant gaps found in most available insurance coverage and services. This risk is only heightened by limited knowledge of health and safety hazards around the world, including medical treatment from unfamiliar providers.  If you are an International Student studying here in the United States there will be times when you will want or need to travel home and you can be rest assured that your health insurance coverage will follow you 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, anywhere in the world, including when you travel home or even if you decide to travel around the United States on your free time.  The Global Citizen is the best International product we have to offer.

Check out their rates.  Obtaining a quote is FREE and when you are ready to apply you can do so from any Internet Connection anywhere in the world.  Normal Underwriting times before we have a decision are generally 7 days or less.  If you have any questions feel free to call us at (619) 435-6700 or email your questions to ““.  If you would like to explore other international products from HTH Worldwide visit our website –  Good luck and enjoy your time at school.

Leave a Reply