J-1 VISA Students Inbound to United States…


passport1Are you planning to visit the United States and study at one of our University’s or Colleges?  Education abroad can be an exciting time in a young students life.  More than likely before you will be able to obtain your J-1 VISA you will need to provide certain information to the Consulate before your VISA is finalized.

One of the requirements for foreign students studying in the U.S. is that they must maintain a health insurance policy that will cover them with in the U.S. and there are minimal limits that are required.  In addition there are requirements as to the financial stability of the insurance company that issues the policy.  Below is the requirement and this comes straight from the U.S. State Departments Website…

“Program participants and their dependents are required to have medical insurance coverage with the following minimum benefits [22 CFR 62.14].

Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per accident or illness
Repatriation of remains in the amount of $7,500
Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $10,000
A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.
Sponsors are to require that their participants (and any dependents entering the United States as holders of a J-2 visa) have insurance in effect during the period of time they are in the sponsor’s program. An insurance policy secured to meet the benefits requirements must be underwritten by an insurance corporation with an A.M. Best rating of “A-” or above, an Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. (ISI) rating of “A-I” or above, a Standard and Poor’s Claims Paying Ability rating of “A-” or above, or a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of B+ or above. Alternatively, the sponsor may ascertain that the participant’s policy is backed by the full faith and credit of the government of the exchange visitor’s home country. For other options, see [22 CFR 62.14].

Program regulations also discuss coverage through HMOs and self-insurance of the above requirements by federal, state or local government agencies, state colleges and universities, and public community colleges, if permitted by law. Refer to [22 CFR 62.14] for additional information.”

GeoBlue_logo2As you can see these coverage limits are extremely limited and not very comprehensive.  In most cases any school that you may attend will have requirements that far exceed these minimal limits.  GeoBlue offers plans specifically designed for Students and Faculty that will be studying abroad.  This includes both Inbound students to the United States and Outbound students that will study outside the borders of the U.S.

Navigator_facultyThe GeoBlue Navigator health plan meets the needs of International Students and Faculty by offering comprehensive worldwide benefits – inside and outside the U.S. – without the typical limits, eligibility conditions and benefits exclusions common among traditional plans.

As global lifestyles emerge, the demand for comprehensive international health insurance has grown rapidly.  In response to this demand, a new generation of superior health plans is now available to serve expatriates and their families.  This is a positive development for American expatriates who have historically had limited choice when it comes to coverage. Existing insurance options have often missed the mark because of limited benefits, long waiting periods, harsh exclusions, per-certification penalties, lack of portability and other hidden gotchas.

GeoBlue Navigator is the premier health plan for students and faculty because it combines these benefits with concierge-level medical assistance and easy access to an elite community of carefully selected hospitals outside the U.S. and a network of over 700,000 doctors and hospitals inside the U.S. through the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Network. GeoBlue Navigator provides international students and faculty peace of mind, knowing they always have the freedom to access top medical care and benefits no matter where their ministries take them.

If you are a student who may soon be traveling abroad to further your education give us call – we are here to help.  Our email address is “sales@Individualhealth.com” and our phone number is 1 (619) 435-6700.  Visit our companion website www.individualhealth.com.

GeoBlue Xplorer

Leave a Reply