Portugal is situated on the west of the Iberian Peninsula, surrounded by Spain and the Atlantic Ocean, Portugal’s beauty abounds with long stretches of white beach and beautiful mountain vistas. Portugal has a population of over 10 million people leaving plenty of room for newcomers. Expats living in Portugal enjoy themselves as they have many options to explore its architectural and archaeological treasures all without the claustrophobia of large crowds. Here are just a few quick facts about Portugal
- Portugal is one of the oldest countries in Europe, having the same defined borders since 1139, almost 900 years ago.
- The Lisbon-based S.L. Benfica is the world’s most supported football club according to the Guinness Book of Record.
- The world-famous Port wine (also known as “Porto”), is a sweet Portuguese fortified wine from the Douro Valley.
- The country has Europe’s highest fish consumption per capita and is among the top four in the world for this indicator.
- Portugal has the largest cork forest in the world, and produces 70% of the world’s exports of cork.
- Portuguese language is spoken by about 240 million people around the world, and is the official language of 9 countries.
Before moving abroad… Get the Brand! GeoBlue Xplorer Premier offers the Out-Bound U.S. Expat the global cover they need to live the life of an Expat abroad.